Beyond Home Cheesemaking (1 day class)
$385 per person
Multi-person booking discount:
2 people 5%, 3 people 10%, 4+ people 15%
Saturday 20th January, 2024
Saturday 24th February, 2024
Saturday 20th April, 2024
Saturday 15th June, 2024
Saturday 13th July, 2024
Saturday 3rd August, 2024
Saturday 7th September, 2024
Saturday 12th October, 2024
Saturday 23rd November, 2024
9:00 am to 6:00 pm
What you learn: The classes will teach you what you need to know to make excellent aged cheese at home.
Location: Our purpose-built small-scale artisan cheese training facility, The Cheese School, Castlemaine.
Our cheesemaker trainer, Michael Paradise, will be your teacher for the day. Michael is an experienced cheesemaker and teachers. For those who haven’t yet met, you’ll soon be firm friends!
This is a very hands-on course. You will spend each day mainly in The Cheese School (classroom and training room), with a visit to our Long Paddock Cheese fromagerie. You will learn heaps, as well as taste a lot of cheese!
START AND FINISH TIMES
Saturday 9.00am to 4pm: A short classroom session covering the basics of cheesemaking, then head into the make room to make your first cheese!
Saturday 4.00pm to 6pm: Wine/beer/cider & cheese pairing
WHAT IS COVERED
Perfect for those who want to learn the basics of the art of cultured cheesemaking, Beyond Home Cheesemaking is a structured hands-on workshop, focusing on what is required to make great artisan cheese at home and beyond.
Led by our experienced cheesemaker and educator Michael Paradise, ‘Beyond Home Cheesemaking’ will provide you with the practical tools needed to make small-scale artisanal cheese successfully, while keeping it fun for the general public of all ages!
There are no prerequisites for this course, and anyone can participate. The course offers a whole-system perspective on artisan cheesemaking:
- Beginning with how to choose the best milk for home cheesemaking
- We will touch on both the science and art of cheesemaking with a look at using raw and pasteurised milk, the basics of cheese microbiology, starters and coagulants, moulding techniques and food safety.
- You’ll make 2 different cheeses and take them home with you to show off to your friends (the cheeses will vary from class to class): at least 1kg of cheese valued at approximately $100
- A tour of our Long Paddock Cheese fromagerie and aging rooms.
- A wine/beer/cider & cheese pairing session on the Saturday late afternoon valued at $100 per person.
- Visit to the shop with 20% discount on purchases
- Light breakfast and generous lunch are included
- To complete your cheesemaking adventure, we present you with a care package to perfectly ripen your new cheeses! This includes an insulated ripening box, a cool pack, a cheese storage box, a draining rack, professional cheese matting, cheese wraps, and the recipe sheets so you can make the next batch, value $30.
FURTHER COURSE INFORMATION
- Participant numbers: There is a maximum of 8 participants.
- Multi-person discount: Bookings of 2 people will receive a 5% discount, bookings of 3 people will receive a 10% discount, bookings of 4 or more people will receive a 15% discount. Our website allows for a maximum of 4 people to be booked at one time. For groups of more than 4 people, please contact us direct.
- Accommodation: there are lots of options for short-term accommodation near The Cheese School.
- Meals: breakfast and lunch + tea and coffee are included in the cost. There are several nearby pubs and restaurants and other options available for evening meals. Please advise of any dietary restrictions on registration.
- Cheese to take home: you can take the cheese you make home with you, with guidance on how to ripen it.
- Area: Castlemaine is a vibrant town nestled in Central Victoria, celebrated for its thriving artisanal food scene and creative artists. The Cheese School is conveniently located at The Mill, a hub for food and artisan manufacturing. Our onsite food and beverage neighbours include a cafe, coffee roasters, winery, ice-creamery, baker, small goods-maker, chocolatier, brewery & taproom, fruit and vegetable store, as well as numerous artists furniture makers.
- Payment details: Beyond Home Cheesemaking courses are payable in full at the time of booking via our website. Our website uses Stripe to process credit card transactions. Your credit card details will not be stored by us and your payment details are handled with the utmost care and protection via Stripe.
- Redeeming Gift Vouchers: Should you wish to redeem a gift voucher as part of your enrolment, please ensure you provide the unique voucher number when completing the enrolment form. If there is an outstanding balance on your booking, you will receive an email containing an invoice for the outstanding amount. To finalise your booking, please settle any outstanding balance by the due date.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event you need to cancel your enrolment, we offer a 50% refund if the cancellation is made at least three weeks prior to the course’s scheduled start date. After this period, you will receive a credit for the amount paid that can be applied toward any future course offered by The Cheese School. You may change the date of your booking only once. Refunds will not be granted beyond this point.
$385 per person. Multi-person discounts apply.